Medium: Lithograph on paper
Dimensions: 10 x 11 7/8 in. (25.4 x 30.1 cm)
Signed: Lower right, "Grant Wood"
Classification: Prints and Printing Plates
Credit Line: Purchased by University Museums. In the permanent collection, Brunnier Art Museum, University Museums, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa.
Object Number: UM2011.282
In this lithograph Wood juxtaposes the hands, long a symbol of healing, with instruments appropriate for 1940s era medical practice. The pocket watch shows 3 o'clock, possibly suggesting an early-morning urgent call. In the 1940s and before, the family practitioner, seen sharply dressed in this lithograph, would often make house calls at all hours. The hands in the image are those of Wood's personal physician, Andrew William Bennett, MD, from Iowa City, Iowa.
Wood was born in Iowa in 1891 to a Quaker family. He lived in Iowa until his death in 1942 except for three overseas trips to Europe. In 1934, he became the director of the Public Works of Art Project (PWAP) in Iowa, and professor of art at the University of Iowa, Iowa City. Grant Wood is best known as a pioneer in the artistic style known as Regionalism, specifically Rural Regionalism.