Title: Dr. Henry Herbert Kildee, Dean of Agriculture, 1933-1949, Iowa State College
Dimensions: 38 x 32 in. (96.5 x 81.3 cm)
Signed: Signed in upper right corner, in red paint "Othmar Hoffler".
Credit Line: In the Art on Campus Collection, University Museums, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa.
Iowa State University, Curtiss Hall
Henry Herbert Kildee was born on a farm in Osage, Iowa, in 1884. He received his bachelor’s degree at Iowa State in 1908 after being high individual in the Intercollegiate Livestock Judging Contest at the International Livestock Exposition in Chicago, scoring more points on all classes of animals in the students’ judging contest. He joined the faculty of Iowa State College in 1909 and the following year was made head of dairy husbandry. In 1916, he went to the University of Minnesota as head of dairy industries, but he received his master’s from Iowa State in 1917. He returned to Iowa State in 1918 as the head of the animal husbandry department, a position he held until 1935. He was named dean of agriculture in 1933 and served in that position until he retired in 1949. In 1965, the animal science department moved into its own building, Kildee Hall, named for Henry H. Kildee.
Fast fact: Kildee was an unusual livestock judge, because he judged every breed of dairy and beef cattle, swine and draft horses, rather than specializing in one breed or species.